Psoriasis is a chronic inflammatory skin disease with strong genetic predisposition and autoimmune pathogenic traits. The world wide prevalence is about 2%.
Different Types Of Psoriasis
- Psoriasis vulgaris
About 90% of Psoriasis cases correspond to chronic plaque type Psoriasis
The classical clinical manifestations are sharply demarcated, erythematous, pruritic plaques covered in silvery scales. Common locations are trunk, exterior surface of limbs and the scalps.
Inverse Psoriasis (Flexural Psoriasis)
Affects intertrignous location
Slightly erosive erythematous plaques and patches.
- Guttate Psoriasis
An acute onset of small erythematous plaques. It usually affects children or adolescents and is often triggered by group –A Streptococcal infections of tonsils.
- Pustular Psoriasis
Multiple coalescing sterile pustules
Pustular Psoriasis can be localized or generalized.
- Psoriasis pustulosapalmoplantaris (PPP)
- Acrodermatitis Continua of Hallopeau
Both of them affects Hand and Feet
PPP – Restricted to palms and soles
ACS- More distally located at the tips of fingers and toes, and affects the nail apparatus.
- Erythrodermic Psoriasis
Acute condition in which over 90% of the total body surface is erythematous and inflamed.
The hallmark of Psoriasis is sustained inflammation that leads to uncontrolled Keratinocyte proliferation and dysfunctional differentiation.
Disturbances in the innate and adaptive cutaneous immune responses are responsible for the development and sustainment of psoriatic inflammation.
- Nal Psoriasis
Fingernails are more affected.Pits of nails are, Nail matrix, Nail bed and Hyponychium are affected areas. In Ayurvedic view we can correlate Psoriasis as Kitibha, Ekakushta, and Sidhmam.
According to Ayurveda, Psoriasis can be considered as VathaKaphadikaThridoshaja disease.
Treatment is based on doshaja predominance in patient.
Sodhana Chikitsa (Purificatory treatment) have more importance in Skin disorders.
- Treatment is based on doshaja predominance
- Rasa rakta prasadana Aushadh
- Manasika bala aushadh
- Repeated sodhana ( Purificatory ) Therapy with Sneha prayoga (Consumption of Medicated ghee)
- Vamana ( if Kapha predominant)
- Virechana( a) Snighda (if Vathanubandha) (b)Rooksha (if Kaphanubandha)
- Leech Therapy
- Lepana ( External application)
- Dhara / Takradhara ( Manasikabalya and Twachya/ Good to skin)
- Udwarthana ( Medicated powder rubbing)
- External application of Taila/ Kera
KASHAYA’S OF CHOICES
Guggulu Tiktha Kamkashayam
Maha Manjishtadi Kashayam
Thriphala Kashayam (for washing the affected area)
Better to avoid Asava, Arishta in oozing stage.
In later stage
- Nimbamrtuthasava – Kaphanubandha Vatha Roga
- Aragwadarishta – Mild laxative, Blood purifier
- Khadirarishta – Kaphadika Tridosha Shamana, Blood purifier
- Saribadyasavam – Pithaka Phaadika Thridosha shamana, Blood purifier, Rasayana, Mitigate Burning sensation
CHOICES OF CHURNA FOR EXTERNAL APPLICATION
- Eladichurna–Vatha Kapha Shamana if itching Associated
- Yashti Thriphala churna – Pitha Kapha shaman
- Panchavalkala Churnam –Kapha Pitha Shamana
- Sidharthaka Snana Churnam – Mix with equal quantity of besan flour and use for washing affected area
- Aragwadha Churna – if Kaphadika with itching
LEPAS / OINTMENT
- Yashti ointment- if Pithadika symptoms like redness, Burning etc
- Swethakutaja Ointment – if Kaphadka with itching
- Manjishtadilepa –Pitha Kapha shaman
- Rasothamadi Ointment – Kapha Vatha Shamana, Pacify itching, Promotes Healing
- Mahatiktha Kalepa- if Pitha dosha predominant
- Arogyavardhini Vati, Kaishora Guggulu – Pitha Kapha Shamana
- Dushivishari Gulika
- Vilwadi Gulika etc
- Shwethakutaja oil, Ayyappalakeram – Kapha Vatha shaman, Anti itching property
- Yashtimadhu oil – Mitigate Pitha Kapha Dosha, Itching, oozing, improves complexion also
- Dinesheladikerataila – More Kapha Pacifying Action
- Dinesha Valyadikera Taila – Kapha, Pitha Shamana
- Eladi Keram / Tailam – Vatha Kapha Shamana
- Marichadi Keram – Kapha Vatha Shamana